Saturday, June 27, 2009

Happy 2nd Anniversary

It's been 2 years since I started this blog. I love posting and wish it was my full-time job. It gives me a chance to talk about the places I go for entertainment, food and life in general. It has also given me a creative outlet to post some of the many pictures I take. I know there are only a few loyal readers and I appreciate all your comments and posts. Keep em coming.
So this anniversary I took the opportunity to do something in L.A. that I've wanted to do for a very long time. I went to see a movie at the Hollywood Cemetery. I know, sounds odd, it is, but it was honestly the best thing I've ever done in L.A. This past Saturday they played the movie "East of Eden," with James Dean. Really the movie is just bonus. I had so much fun up till the movie I would have been happy even if they hadn't shown it.
Here's how it works. You line up in front of the gates before they open up at 7:30. This isn't your usual line. It's on the grass area in front of the cemetery. Only things is you plop down on the grass and break out your lawn chair or blanket, uncork (or unscrew) your bottle of wine and get to sippin. If only you could do this waiting in line for a ride at Disneyland. You Pay $10 to see the movie, walk on through the cemetary, not on the graves, on a road. Then plop yourself either in the middle, blankets only, or on the sides, blankets and low lawn chairs. We had chairs so we took to the right side. This is where the low tables, candles and the eating get started. These guys came prepare, at night the table was lit with candlelites. We took a quick run to my favorite Italian deli, Bay Cities in Santa Monica. My Turkey sandwhich with all the fixings was delish, as usual.

A DJ spins music till it get's nice a dark.

This evening we had a great DJ spinning groovy tunes. As it get's darker they start projecting old movie posters on the mausoleum wall. At about 8:50PM it was tribute to Farrah Fawcett, old classic movies. At 8:55PM the DJ spun a tribute to the King of Pop. Everyone got up and started dancing in the dark. Favorite quote of the evening, "Danieeellll, for god sakes get up it's the King of Pop." (That's Daniel below, never met, but thought it was funny)Movie starts at 9PM, James Dean's first movie and you see him ooze with talent. Your under the stars, those that you can see, we counted about 2 and the moon was glowed behind us. It gets damp on the grass at night so make sure you bring lots of layers. Oh and just so you know you aren't sitting on anyone's grave, your purely on grass and dirt. Bathrooms are porta potties...go early, if you know what I mean. Movie is over at 11PM and you pack up and walk out. My tip is park on the street, the poor folks who paid $5 to park in the cemetery had a long wait to get out as all us pedestrians wound our way through the walkways.

Hollywood Forever Cemetery
6000 Santa Monice Blvd at Gower

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

happy 2nd anniversary!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...