Sunday, March 27, 2011

Warwick Castle - Day 10



On this day we drove to Warwick (pronounced war-ick). This castle has a long history, starting in the 11th Century.  Notable Earl's of Warwick include Richard Neville and Edward the last of the Plantagenet's who lived in this castle.  Queen Elizabeth I visited in 1562, King William in 1695, in 1858 Queen Victoria lunched at the castle and in 1978 the Tussuad group buys Warwick castle.  This particular note says everything.  However, in 1986 HRH Princess of Wales attended when the Royal Victorian garden was restored.
View of the grounds from Tower walls.


This is a huge castle with vast garden's and Tussuad's has definitely added all the wax figures possible, bordering on creepy and cheesy.  I enjoy the history part but unsure of how I feel about all the wax figures of the likes of Winston Churchill, the Prince of Wales (not Charles), and Henry VIII and all his wives.  
Plus a few varied costumed characters who parade the grounds.
I realized as SB and I competed shared the camera, that I'm overly fascinated with chandeliers.  I just think there so intricate and varied.  
 These are the crystal chandeliers that you see throughout the castle.
 Three views of the same chandelier.
Colorful flowered porcelain chandelier, I've never seen anything like that.

Inside the halls are rooms with little still life's waiting to happen and they have their own hall of mirrors and chandeliers that connect each room.

All my friends know this well...I'm afraid of birds, it started in 1st grade, I'm sure there is a therapy session somewhere about that,  I do however try to conquer this fear.  And yes I can watch the movie "The Birds" and I'm fine.  It's the "live" birds that make me nervous.  In Venice, Italy many years ago I made myself stand in the middle of St. Marks square amongst many pigeons to take a picture and I survived to tell another day, even though I needed a glass of wine to calm my nerves after that.  
At Warwick there are peacocks, eagles and owls everywhere.  I have a fearful respect for these great animals.  But this is the first time I've never been this close to a peacock and they are magnificant creatures from the top of their heads to the tip of their tales.  These pictures do not do them justice and I stood right next to this peacock I was breathless.
We did also visit the Dungeon, which for some reason I forgot to read the last warning on the sign here.  If you take this tour, remember you become part of the show and their are live actors everywhere so be ready for anything, screaming anyone, oh that was me.  And the last warning on the sign about claustrophobia, well I can add that to my list of "issues."   I managed to control my mind and give myself some space throughout the narrow dark winding staircases, but believe me, I should have stayed outside and watched the bird show.  Really pick the lesser of any "issues" you may have (sigh).


Here's the part of the family we visited with and thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks friends for a fantastic day.

Warwick Castle 
Warwick 
Warwickshire 
CV34 4QU

By rail:
Warwick Train Station is approximately one mile from the Castle. A direct service into London Marylebone (1 hour 45 minutes) or Birmingham Snow Hill is available. For information visit http://www.londonmidland.com/ or http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...