Monday, January 21, 2013

The Farm Shop and Kei and Molly



For the past several years when I go to Albuquerque I like to take a slow drive down Rio Grande Blvd (25 miles is the max speed limit). When I was a kid we drove down this street all the time where you can get views of the old ranch houses and horses, there use to be buffalo. I remember going to the buffalo house when I was in pre-school. During the Fall the trees down this boulevard are the golden color cottonwoods I love so much.  My favorite farm is the old Simms Farm which is where the The Farm Shop is. It's in the original Creamland Dairies building and is part of the property connected to the Los Poblanos Inn, which has a rich history found here.

My mom visits here yearly for the Lavender festival, they have rows and rows of lovely lavender.  It's an organic run farm and supplies the ingredients for the amazing dishes that are served up at the Los Poblanos Inn. The Farm Shop sells lavender spa products, artisan foods, gourmet kitchen and gardening tools and locally made gifts from all over New Mexico.

Lemon lavender gelato, refreshing and tasty. Thankfully no too much lavender, but just enough for the essence of the taste. I've had llavender panna cota which tasted like creamed perfumed soap, not ideal, this was the opposite.

Every corner is artfully directed and begging to be bought.

Lately I'm obsessed with the tea towels from Kei and Molly, here's their story. Next time I visit I want to look them up and see if I can meet these amazing women in person, I love everything they make. Their towels are beautiful and hang in the light filled windows of the Farm Shop. Check out their Etsy store


Mom has bought me two so far, and our last purchase was a typical mom daughter conversation.

Me:  I like the turquoise one, but it has a cross in it, so maybe not
Mom:  It's pretty, but how about the ones with the coyote
Me: Nah, I like the satelite dishes
Mom: Why?
Me: It's kinda cool, and sci-fi, and New Mexico
Mom: I don't get it
Me: It's ok, I like it
Mom: But why would you want that in your kitchen?
Me: Why wouldn't I, look at the conversation we're having about it
Mom: Your funny, you like weird things
Me: Mom don't you remember when I was a kid, if you don't like it, buy it, I'll LOVE it, that hasn't changed.
Mom: I guess, ok I'll get you that one.
Me: Thanks Mom.

So now I have two the orange citrus slices next to the indigo blue satellite dishes.  
Lovely right.

Driveway up to the Inn and Farm. It's breathtaking in the winter and fall its AMAZING with the golden leaves on the trees.

I never get tired of this view when you walk to the Farm Shop, especially as you wonder around with chickens and peacocks, both white and the typically amazing blue and green.


White peacock.




Driveway out...just as lovely.


The Farm Shop
4803 RIO GRANDE BLVD NW
OPEN DAILY 9:00A – 5:00
505.938.2192

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...